Breonna Taylor case: Former Louisville Detective Kelly Hannah Goodlett pleads guilty to federal charges

Kelly Hannah Goodlett, 35, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Rebecca Grady in Kentucky. The botched March 2020 raid ended with the 26-year-old woman being shot dead.

“First, Goodlett admitted that she knew the affidavit in support of the search warrant at Taylor’s home was false, misleading and outdated,” the DOJ said in a statement.

“Second, Goodlett admitted that she and the other detective conspired to obstruct justice by providing false information to investigators after Taylor was shot and killed.”

Goodlett was charged, with three other officers, earlier this month by submitting a bogus affidavit to search Taylor’s home without probable cause prior to the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department raid, then creating a “false cover story in an attempt to escape responsibility of their role in preparing the warrant affidavit which contained false information,” according to court documents.
Former Louisville police detective charged by federal government in Breonna Taylor death to plead guilty, report says

Goodlett is expected to be sentenced Nov. 22, according to court records. She faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

The Louisville Courier-Journal reported that Goodlett is expected to testify against two former colleagues, Joshua Jaynes and Kyle Meany. A third ex-detective, Brett Hankison, is charged in a separate federal indictment, reports The Courier-Journal.

In her plea agreement, Goodlett said she was aware that the affidavit in support of the warrant incorrectly asserted that the target of the warrant, Taylor’s ex-boyfriend, received packages from the U.S. Postal Service at the home. of Taylor, according to the DOJ. She also said officers knew the suspect did not live at Taylor’s home and had not been in weeks, the department said.

The former officer also admitted to providing false information to investigators after Taylor’s death in an effort to cover up misleading information in the warrant, the DOJ said.

A trial for Jaynes and Meany is scheduled for Oct. 11, 2022, according to court records. Hankison’s trial is scheduled for October 13.

The charges filed earlier this month were the first federal charges against any of the officers involved in the raid. In addition to the civil rights violations, federal authorities charged the defendant with unlawful conspiracy, unconstitutional use of force and obstruction, according to Attorney General Merrick Garland.

Taylor, an ER technician, was fatally shot in her apartment in a flawed break-in in the early hours of March 13, 2020.

His death, along with those of other black people at the hands of law enforcement — including George Floyd in Minnesota and Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia — sparked a summer of protests calling for police reform.

Officer involved in deadly raid on Breonna Taylor's home has been fired

State prosecutors only charged Hankison in connection with the shooting. The LMPD fired Hankison in June 2020, and in September 2020 a grand jury indicted Hankison on three counts of wanton felony endangerment for indiscriminately firing 10 shots into Taylor’s home.

A jury acquitted Hankison of all charges in March.

Hankison is charged with “deliberately using unconstitutional excessive force…when he fired his service weapon into Taylor’s apartment through a covered window and a covered glass door.” He is federally charged with depriving Taylor and a guest at her home “of their constitutional rights by firing shots through a bedroom window that was covered with blinds and a blackout curtain,” according to the U.S. Department. of Justice.

The 46-year-old detective is also accused of depriving three of Taylor’s neighbors of their constitutional rights because, according to the indictment, the bullets he fired passed through a wall in Taylor’s house and in a adjacent apartment.

CNN’s Ray Sanchez contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment