Bills showed no urgency in dealing with rape allegations against Araiza

What took so long?

The Buffalo Bills finally sent punter Matt Araiza out on the night out of work deal with the legal ramifications stemming from the alleged gang rape of a minor during his senior year in the state of San Diego.

This decision came on Saturday, two days after woman filed civil suit against Buffalo’s sixth-round pick and two of his former teammates, and the sordid affair exploded onto the national radar.

Shamefully, the Bills brain trust made the decision to part ways with a player accused of a heinous crime only after the trial became public. No criminal charges have been filed, pending an ongoing investigation that San Diego police have assigned to the district attorney.

To hear Bills GM Brandon Beane explain it, the team learned of the allegations in late July, when the woman’s attorney, Daniel Gilleon, briefed Buffalo’s attorney. Beane also said it’s possible the team first heard of the allegations from Araiza himself, who apparently learned earlier this summer that he was under investigation.

Beane maintained that he wasn’t sure if he heard it first from Araiza or the lawyer. But the GM was sure they told the bettor about it around the same time the lawyer contacted him.

Matt Araiza was released by the Bills on Saturday.

So get this: the Bills put more weight on the word of an accused rapist than a traumatized girl seemingly seeking justice, and kept the bettor on their list.

“We were trying not to rush to judgment,” Beane said at a Saturday night press conference at team headquarters. “Obviously Matt’s version was different. You want to give everyone as much due process as possible. We are not judge and jury.

Leave a Comment