The storm had maximum sustained winds of 70 mph at 5 a.m., just short of the 74 mph winds required to become a Category 1 hurricane.
The storm does not threaten the United States
Danielle’s path will be untraditional, with the tropical storm expected to make a small loop over North Atlantic waters throughout the weekend, according to AccuWeather.
The Hurricane Center is also monitoring two more tropical waves in the Atlantic, Invest 91L and Invest 94L.
Odds plummeted overnight for development of 91L, closest disruption to US
What happens in the tropics:August has not been so devoid of tropical storms since 1997. Is hurricane season over?
The next named storm of the season will be Earl.
Here is the latest update from the NHC as of 5 a.m. on September 2:
Tropical Storm Danielle
- Location: 890 miles west of the Azores; 2201 east of Daytona Beach
- Maximum wind speed: 70 mph
- Direction: East at 3 mph
Maximum sustained winds increased to nearly 70 mph, with stronger gusts. Further strengthening is expected over the next two days, and Danielle is expected to become a hurricane later this morning. Tropical storm force winds extend up to 70 miles from the center.
What else is out there and where are they?
Invest 91L: Satellite imagery indicates that there has been little change in the organization of the low pressure area located several hundred miles east of the Leeward Islands over the past few hours.
Invest 94L: Showers associated with a large low pressure area located just northwest of the Cape Verde Islands have increased a little in the past few hours, but remain poorly organized.
What is the probability that they will strengthen?
Invest 91L: Although environmental conditions remain only marginally favorable, any further development of the system over the next few days would lead to the formation of a tropical depression.
The disturbance is forecast to move slowly west-northwestward into adjacent waters north of the Leeward Islands.
An Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate the system this afternoon, if necessary.
- Chance of formation over 48 hours: average, 50%.
- Chance of formation over 5 days: average, 70%.
Invest 94L: This system is evolving in an area where environmental conditions are less favorable and no significant development is expected.
- 48 hour formation chance: low, 10%.
- Chance of formation over 5 days: low, 10%.
Who is likely to be impacted?
Invest 91L: Heavy local rainfall may occur over parts of the Leeward Islands over the next two days, and residents of this area should monitor the progress of the system.
Invest 94L: It is too early at this time to determine whether Invest 94L will have an impact on the United States.
Forecasters urge all residents to continue to monitor the tropics and always be prepared during what is expected to be an active hurricane season.
Colorado State University 2-Week Forecast September 1-14
Colorado State University’s two-week hurricane forecast for September 1-14 calls for 70% chance of near-normal activity, 25% chance of above-normal activity, and 5% chance of activity below normal.
WeatherTiger Prediction:Since 2017, 101 ridiculously named storms have formed. Expect more this hurricane season
When is Atlantic hurricane season?
Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.
When is the peak of hurricane season?
Although the season got off to a slow start, the peak of the season is September 10, with the most activity occurring between mid-August and mid-October, according to the Hurricane Center.
Weather watch and warning issued for your area
The next five days
See the National Hurricane Center’s graphical five-day tropical weather forecast below.
Forecast of excessive precipitation
What’s over there?
Systems currently monitored by the National Hurricane Center.
We will continue to update our tropical weather coverage daily. Download the app from your local site to make sure you’re always connected to the news. And look at our subscription specials here.